Retaliation "The Path of War" - Review on IndieGraph

Rovigo, Italy 15 October, 2013

"I’m not much into strategy games but I enjoyed this game. Retaliation: Path of War is a turn-based hex strategy game inspired by games like Risk and Chess. Best of all, it is totally free, no strings attached.

The art is simple and colorful but not amazing, but the thing that really brings the battlefield to life is the explosions and the zooming and stuff which makes it feel more dynamic than a simple board game on a screen, although that can be turned off if that turns you off. The music and sound effects are okay, if repetitive. There isn’t really a story to the game but I’m fine with that, and you kind of get to make it up in your head anyway. You can even turn it into a modern military game and make the generic red bad guys Russians if you wanted to pretend that.

The game slowly introduces concepts and while the HUD is pretty intimidating, there is a lot of help available, from in-game tool-tips to a PDF file that comes with it to the website itself. Even without that, you can probably figure out the (actually simple) controls yourself. Basically, you control tanks (the number depends on the level, as do the objectives) and try and defend your flag, destroy your enemy or whatever. The game puts a lot of focus on placement of units and dice rolls, which produces a decent mix of strategy and luck. New elements are slowly introduced and there is a fair amount of missions to take on.

If you run out, the developer is trying to put out a map editor to create maps and mods that you can download and play but that isn’t out yet at the time of writing. Another thing that doesn’t sound like it is planned to be included is multiplayer, which sounds like a missed opportunity.

Retaliation should be fun for an afternoon or two, and really, I think they could have sold it but they were generous enough to make it free so you don’t really have an excuse if you like these types of games, unless you’re not a PC user, although support for other platforms are planned to come out at some point… See you on the battlefield!"

http://indiegraph.org/2013/10/15/retaliation-path-of-war-review/

News Letter

Facebook

Counter

Today 49 Yesterday 106 Week 586 All 164822

Currently are 48 guests and no members online